Financial Questions for Husbands & Wives
The following is a list of financial questions that my husband and I regularly discuss. These questions help us focus on our goals and ensure that we are both on the same financial page.
- What is our monthly take home income?
- This can differ for my husband who gets paid by the hour.
- We discuss everything from property taxes, mortgage payments, repair bills, to IRA contributions and charitable contributions.
- This may be a specific dollar amount or a percentage of our income. It also differs depending on the expenses discussed above.
- Watching over these details ensures we don’t overextend ourselves and that we stay on target with our financial goals.
- We currently strive to keep six months of assets in a semi-liquid or easy to liquidate form.
- Over the years we’ve decided that all home and car purchases must be discussed. Personal items like clothes and food usually don’t require discussion.
- Usually anything over $200. For us this is really more about the type of purchase than the amount of money.
- My husband, God bless him. He has a great attention to detail and journals all of our monthly expenses. Most of our bills are paid automatically or through online banking services.
- I do, although I have thought of getting one-time financial advice from an expert. As we add new retirement accounts it’s difficult to ensure our investments are still diverse.
Entry filed under: family. Tags: .