Classing Up the Joint with IKEA Furniture

July 29, 2007 at 2:01 AM 7 comments

Early this year my husband and I were forced to replace our living room furniture with IKEA sofas and chairs. The transformation started in April when one of our cats decided to spray his scent all over our home. That first trip to the IKEA store was quite a sad one. My husband and I decided we could not get rid of the cat, despite my numerous threats to do so, but we also couldn’t keep the furniture the cat had soiled. We didn’t want to buy expensive, quality furniture in case the cat decided to spray again, so we headed to IKEA.

This was a big deal for the two of us. My husband and I have had very few fights in our relationship, but for some reason we have always fought about furniture. It’s odd actually, but for some reason most of our trips to furniture stores have resulted in tears and angst.

Our home is now a hodgepodge of furniture. Our living room and foyer are filled with beautiful wooden tables, chairs, and hutches passed down by my husband’s grandparents. As a housewarming present to ourselves we also purchased a gorgeous china cabinet, which was filled with subsequent wedding gifts, and a new dark-wood bedroom set. Our living room on the other hand is filled with two cat scratched wing back chairs, handed down by my in-laws, an old cat-torn sofa from NC, and four IKEA chairs. We also have a number of mismatched and irregular sized tables that don’t fit the space.

I will now secretly admit that I have grown to like the IKEA furniture quite a bit. I am quite tall and the chairs all have high backs that make them quite comfortable. Throw in a couple of cheap ottomans and you have a nice cozy place to sit and blog. We purchased two Jennylund chairs from IKEA which have removable covers that can be washed should the cat decide to do his deed, which thankfully he has refrained from for now. IKEA makes a number of different slipcovers so if one becomes ripped or torn you can buy another one for $79. Tonight I came across a great website that makes classier slipcovers. If your IKEA furniture is in need of a little updating check out: Bemz. They have slipcovers for quite a few IKEA sofas and chairs. If my cat continues to behave himself I think I have a new slipcover in mind.

Entry filed under: frustration. Tags: .

43 Things I’d Like to Accomplish Do You Find Comfort in Your Home Equity?

• 1. rustic  |  July 10, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Rustic Living Room Furniture sets augment the overall beauty of any room. With various room decoration items and gadgets flooding the market, it may sometimes be very confusing as what furniture’s to select for your living rooms – furniture’s which suit your tastes, match your room’s environment and of course meet your budget! However, rustic furniture sets have an all-time appeal because of their simple yet versatile designs and light-weight (can easily be shifted from one room to other). http://rustic-living-room-furniture.blogspot.com

• 2. Furniture Stores  |  September 9, 2008 at 3:54 AM

Good article , this article make some interesting points.

Furniture Stores information

• 3. arredamento mobili ufficio  |  October 7, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Are you bored with your cheap-looking home and office furniture or is it happening that you are about to lose on your client`s confidence due to your weak and unattractive office interiors? No need to worry at all, dear. With http://www.momi.it coming up with new and effective mobili per ufficio (office furniture) solutions, uninviting office interiors are a matter of the past era. Just log in to the website for everlasting solutions to your furniture problems.

• 4. David  |  March 9, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Hi,

If you are looking for teak sofa, i would like to suggest you to visit our website.Our sofa provides a soft, stylish living place for family to gather. Comes with a cushion made with top grade Sunbrella Fabric.

• 5. Home Living Furniture  |  March 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Use the new home living furniture can make your interior compact.

• 6. furniture removals  |  July 31, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Lovely blog, think I might just subsctibe to it for new updates.

• 7. livingroom furniture  |  March 3, 2012 at 5:14 AM

IKEA always come up with great furniture designs. I love all their creations.