Archive for April 27, 2010
Do you ever find yourself in a store staring at something and thinking, “why am I looking at this? I must have three others like it at home.” I don’t shop very often, but when I do head to the store I often find myself purchasing the same items over and over. The swimsuits I mentioned on Saturday are a perfect example.
Over the years the ‘it’ item changes, but no matter the date or time there always seems to be at least one thing that tempts me to spend.
- Magazines (primarily food and health)
- Cards (particularly thank you cards, but also birthday and special occasions)
- Serveware (pretty platters and large serving bowls)
- Beach themed items (cause I’m always looking for decorations for our second home)
- Earrings (dangly and brightly colored)
- Swimsuits (bright and summery)
As I generated this list I couldn’t help but notice the impact of these purchases on others.
- Magazines (My husband and I often cook meals together based on recipes I find.)
- Cards (I send the cards to guests of our beach home and to friends and family.)
- Serveware (I use these for every special occasion and get-together in our home.)
- Beach themed items (Cause I love knowing that a guest is enjoying their stay in NC.)
- Earrings (Cause my grandmother and mother always wear earrings and they always comment on the ones I buy.)
- Swimsuits (My family and I spend a lot of time in NC swimming together.)
I never realized how many of these purchases are actually focused on enjoying time together with others. Before I created this list I thought the purchases were all thoughtless and unnecessary. While the items may in fact be unneeded, I’m surprised to find a pattern among them. Perhaps my subconscious is trying to tell me something.