My Vacation Begins

May 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM 6 comments

While vacation is relaxing for most folks it can often be a chaotic time for me. My parents and in-laws don’t always see eye-to-eye and my husband and I often vacation with both families at the same time, which can make an otherwise relaxing vacation quite crazy. This week we’re on vacation and I’m hoping for a much more peaceful experience than the one we had back in September.

I spent a lot of time reading and meditating in preparation for a week at the beach. On Tuesday I experienced a breakthrough visit with my massage therapist and on Wednesday I had an enlightening hour long remote reiki session with my blogger pal Elizabeth. Both put me in the mood for a week away from the stresses of every day life.

I’m looking forward to soaking up a little extra Vitamin D while making the most of the time with my family. Wish me luck. If it doesn’t work out I might just boycott any upcoming family vacations!

Entry filed under: family. Tags: .

Lured By the $1 Book Sale Back From Vacation

• 1. Anonymous  |  May 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Your post prompted me to read your earlier entry (the last vacation). You got such good advice from others on how to deal w/a difficult situation. One thing I'd add is simply to limit your time w/your in-laws while on vacation. Make sure that you are not in a house with them for hours on end. Schedule time away every single day, whether it's a long walk, a lunch in another town (the further the better), and best of all, a couple of dinners away. Do not eat every meal as a group. I think that's a recipe for disaster. Yes, you will probably be criticized. Smile, say that you're on vacation too, and walk away. Killing with kindness sometimes works. So does refusing to be treated poorly.

I am fortunate in both my own family and my in-laws (sometimes I find my MIL easier to be around than my own mother), but even so I occasionally find it hard to spend prolonged periods of time w/extended family. Little annoyances start chafing, and larger issues seem insurmountable. Good luck! Clare

• 2. Maureen  |  May 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Count your blessings it,s only for a short time, my MIL lives with us and while she and I used to be really close familiarity does breed contempt.

• 3. Lauren  |  May 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM

I too, went back and read your September post. I have a similar relationship with my in-laws and I've tried handling it numerous different ways. The last time my MIl came to visit, I went to Cuba with my girlfriend! She got my husband and son all to herself and I didn't have to hear any snide or critical comments. My parents-in-law are coming again next month and I'm already feeling anxious… working out my game plan. Having a supportive husband who stands united with me makes a huge difference (in the beginning of our relationship he was conflicted). I think I will be as absent as possible and will respond to any inappropriate comments with, "how inappropriate" and move on. Good luck!

• 4. elizabeth  |  June 3, 2010 at 1:56 AM

I must confess that that does sound rather chaotic. I wish you lots of luck!

• 5. commoncents  |  June 7, 2010 at 1:14 AM

THANK YOU for posting this! I really like your blog…

Steve:
    Common Cents

• 6. dining tables  |  August 19, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Even if you are going to a vacation you manage to post a wonderful article. You are so great. That is why I really love your blog.