So I thought the decision had been made for me. A recent restructure will leave me without a job right around the time my first child is due. While some people might be devastated by this news I decided to take an optimistic approach to my new found circumstances. I figured it was a sign that I was meant to stay home for a few extra months with our soon-to-be little one.

Of course I should have known that fate would not let me off so easily. After feeling relatively at ease with this decision a coworker called to let me know that a new position opened up that I would be perfect for.

I’m not sure if the pay would be the same, but the benefits certainly would. If I transferred to the new job I would not receive a severance package, but I would remain employed. If I was offered and accepted the job it would be as though I was never put in this predicament in the first place.

So the question is should I transfer to a new position and forget any of this ever happened or should I simply take my severance and move on? Unfortunately the answer isn’t entirely clear, so I tried to write down the pros and cons of both choices.

First, I recently transferred jobs in an effort to work closer to home, but the new position is closer to my old location half way around the beltway. I don’t want to spend countless hours in the car driving back and forth to work. I’ve been spoiled with my current commute and I dread the idea of driving around the beltway again. Plus I really don’t want to be so far from home once the little one arrives.

Second, I don’t know if the pay would be exactly the same. I’m not sure I could find out the answer to this before applying for the position.

Third, I would only be able to enjoy 10 to 12 weeks off before returning to work after the baby is born. I really dread the idea of going back after such a short period of time even though I know a lot of women who have survived this.

So what are the benefits of leaving the job. Well I would receive a hearty severance check that would permit me to stay home for a much longer amount of time. I wouldn’t have to return to work after a 12 week absence and I would be able to take more care and time finding a nanny and easing back into the working world.

Of course on the negative side I will have to find a new job eventually that may not pay as much or provide me with as much flexibility and paid time off. If I don’t find a new job before my severance ends I will also have to start paying for health insurance since my husband and I both retain coverage through my employer. Of course, I won’t receive 401(k) matching during my severance period and I will have to apply and pay for my own life insurance policy.

After writing down the pros and cons of both choices and listing out the specifics associated with pay, time off and other financial and non-financial benefits I believe I’ve reached the same decision I did a few days ago.

I believe I should be happy with my current circumstances and simply take the money and run. The world is full of possibilities and while I might not find a job that pays as much or offers as much time off I may find a job even closer to home that is much more fulfilling.

So what do you think? If you were in my shoes which option would you choose? Do you think there are factors I haven’t considered and do you think I’m making the right decision?