Where Do You Find the Best Recipes?

November 16, 2008 at 4:59 AM 13 comments

My husband and I managed to make three healthy, home-cooked meals this week. On the other nights we ate leftovers from the night before. I tried one new recipe and I’m planning on making two new ones next week. I found all the recipes on foodtv.com.

I know this sounds crazy, but I hate to cook a recipe when I can’t see a picture of the food. For some reason the picture lures me into trying something new. If the meal looks tasty and easy to make then I’m apt to try it. If it looks too complex and fancy then I typically won’t attempt it.

In browsing the Internet I was surprised by the lack of photographs on recipe websites. The Internet is great for multi-media and I don’t know why more sites haven’t used the capabilities of the web. I’m so discouraged by my findings that I’m considering giving up on the web and heading to the local library instead.

I was wondering if any of you have a favorite food related website. A website with photographs would be preferable. I am excited to experiment in the kitchen this winter and I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Entry filed under: food. Tags: .

Paying With Coins The Rite Aid Gift of Savings Promotion Is Back

• 1. Anonymous  |  November 16, 2008 at 7:01 AM

my favorite:
    allrecipes.com

• 2. Kate@LivingTheFrugalLife  |  November 16, 2008 at 12:36 PM

I like the 101 Cookbooks blog, and FarmGirl Fare (http://foodiefarmgirl.blogspot.com) for nice pictures and ideas. If it’s guidance on a classic, standby dish I’m after, America’s Test Kitchen has usually made the effort to trouble shoot it. If I’m looking for a recommendation for a recipe for something specific I want to make, or uses for a specific ingredient, the food forum at craigslist is often quite useful. Lots of knowledgeable posters there.

A lot of times a recipe just sounds good to me or it doesn’t.

• 3. Amy  |  November 16, 2008 at 7:06 PM

I love allrecipes.com too. I made some French Onion soup on there the past week. :)

One of my favorite things about those recipes is that you can usually look through the comments and find out what to change, add, or ignore with the recipe based on other people’s experience.

• 4. TC Byrd  |  November 16, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Smitten Kitchen is a great recipe blog with great pictures and witty discussion. (http://smittenkitchen.com/)

• 5. Anonymous  |  November 16, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Simplyrecipes.com is great, smittenkitchen.com has amazing pictures and recipes, and 101cookbooks.com has good recipes as well! I would also suggest going to foodblogsearch.com and searching for the recipe you want in this search engine for food blogs! :)

• 6. One Frugal Girl  |  November 17, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I’ve spent hours clicking through the links you all provided. I loved all of the sites, especially foodblogsearch.com.

I have so many recipes bookmarked that I could make a new one every night for the next three months! Thanks again!

• 8. Frugalchick  |  November 17, 2008 at 1:03 PM

I also love allrecipes.com. Their ingredient search is fantastic.

• 9. Ashley @ Wide Open Wallet  |  November 17, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I’m just like you in that I have to have pictures for my recipes. Sometimes the directions are clear and I can see… “oh that’s what they mean by ‘sliced crosswise’.”

I will have to check out all those links people recommended.

There is this blog… http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/ that looks amazing. I’ve never made anything from his site, but his pics are fantastic.

• 10. One Frugal Girl  |  November 18, 2008 at 3:23 AM

I love all of these sites. I got lost again for hours. Now the hard part… picking the first recipe.

• 11. Elizabeth  |  November 18, 2008 at 3:26 AM

my favorite cooking blogs are:

smittenkitchen.com

orangette.blogspot.com (though she has been posting less lately)

and glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com

• 12. honugurl16  |  November 19, 2008 at 6:26 AM

I’m shocked no one’s mentioned The Pioneer Woman. She’s got a major following! I made her pot roast, mashed potatoes, Pastor Ryan’s Mexican lasagna, apple dumplings, pico de gallo, guacamole… The woman is a genius, and her site is chock full of pictures.

• 13. jessie  |  November 24, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Picture recipes can indeed make a good cook out of people who have just begun to learn cooking. But out of my own experience I too agree that its very difficult to find websites with such recipes. I’ll keep this thread on my watchlist to see if someone can come up with good ideas.