How Much Should I Tip for a House Cleaning

March 1, 2010 at 3:46 AM 12 comments

I hired a cleaning service to clean my home this week and I’m not sure whether or not I should tip and if so just how much I should give. When I searched online I was surprised to find that most homeowners do not tip for cleaning services. It seems some folks provide a large tip around the holidays and some never tip at all.

This is the first time I’ve ever hired a cleaning service and I could really use advice on this one. If you hire a cleaning service do you tip the men and women who come out to clean your home? If so how much do you tip them? Do you tip them a specific amount or a percent of the overall cost of the cleaning?

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .

Sell or Donate: How Do you Decide? The Best $59 I’ve Ever Spent!

• 1. Heather  |  March 1, 2010 at 12:29 PM

We do not tip each visit, but rather at the holidays take the cost of a cleaning and divide it up among the number of cleaners we normally get (3-4) in the form of gift certificates to a common store.

I try to always leave out glasses and cans of Coke when they visit to make themselves welcome to have a drink as they work.

• 2. me in millions  |  March 2, 2010 at 3:19 PM

It's probably a nice idea to tip them, since I'm sure they do not get paid that much. If it's a one off thing, then maybe a small tip (like $5 each?), but if it is a regular thing I like what Heather said.

• 3. One Frugal Girl  |  March 3, 2010 at 12:06 AM

I don't know how long it usually takes to clean a house, but the two women that showed up were here for nearly 3 hours. I left out bottled water like Heather suggested and paid them a small tip as me in millions suggested. I am so happy the house is now clean!

• 4. Anonymous  |  March 3, 2010 at 11:53 PM

We've had a cleaner come in on a biweekly basis for several years now and consider it money well spent. However I have never tipped her and don't know of anyone else who has either. At Christmastime, I leave her $20 extra, as well as a gift, such as a bottle of wine and a card expressing our appreciation for her service.

• 5. One Frugal Girl  |  March 4, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Anonymous — The women who cleaned my home definitely aren't used to tips. When I handed it to them they were as giddy as two school girls on the first day of summer. I don't know if I'll ever use their services again so I couldn't wait for the holidays and I was so happy to have my bathrooms sparkling that I really did want to give them something extra. Especially the one woman who spent the majority of time at my house scrubbing the bathrooms :-)

• 6. People Power Cleaning  |  February 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Your home will look fantastic, smell fresh and indeed look a million dollars if you use the professional services of People Power Cleaning services.
    Professional cleaning company

• 7. upholstery cleaning knoxville tn  |  February 8, 2011 at 1:46 AM

In my first time to call for a house cleaning I also don't know how much should I pay for the house cleaning? I just ask the cleaner about and I think I pay her a fair price.

• 8. Anonymous  |  December 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM

My wife and I are office Cleaners and Trust me, A tip is GREATLY appreciated. Please take into consideration that we provide service all year around , in all kinds of weather, Cleaning your floors in the winter is the worst. Cleaning in HOT offices at night in the Summer. Scrubbing all your Bathroom messes. Most people forget about the cleaning people because as I say " OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND" . While most people tip the Mail Man or Fed EX guy or Water Delivery guy,, think about it, the previous 3 are in and out of your office in a matter of seconds are even a couple of minutes. While a cleaning person is in your office at least an hour some accounts are even 2-3 hours. Put yourself in the Cleaning Peoples place and than think about how you would feel about not getting tipped !!!

• 9. JJ lang  |  April 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM

So how much would you recommend for 2 hours of work done by two people as an appropriate tip?

• 10. Anonymous  |  January 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I have been using a home cleaning service monthly for about six months. I have (since the beginning) left a tip for the two ladies who spend about 3 hours here.

That investment has repaid itself many times over. We have a comfortable, mutually respectful relationship. At Christmas I left them a tip plus two ornaments. One of the ladies gave me a personalized hand-made candle.

More importantly, after several months of assessing my cleaning needs, they consulted the cleaning service owner about reducing the fee since they did not need the full allotted time to clean. How many businesses would do that?

It took me many years to get over reluctance to having someone in my home, handling my things. I now consider it one of the best decisions I've ever made. Providing a generous tip is the least I can do to show my appreciation to these lovely ladies.

• 11. Spring Maids  |  May 5, 2014 at 3:41 AM

It is depend on how much tip you are going to give. Any cleaning services will appreciate it.

• 12. cleaners insurance  |  September 18, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Thank you for any other informative blog. Where else could I am getting that
    kind of information written in such an ideal means?
    I’ve a challenge that I am just now working on, and I’ve ben at the
    glance out for such info.