How Much Should I Tip for a House Cleaning

March 1, 2010 at 3:46 AM 18 comments

I hired a cleaning service to clean my home this week and I’m not sure whether or not I should tip and if so just how much I should give. When I searched online I was surprised to find that most homeowners do not tip for cleaning services. It seems some folks provide a large tip around the holidays and some never tip at all.

This is the first time I’ve ever hired a cleaning service and I could really use advice on this one. If you hire a cleaning service do you tip the men and women who come out to clean your home? If so how much do you tip them? Do you tip them a specific amount or a percent of the overall cost of the cleaning?

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .

Sell or Donate: How Do you Decide? The Best $59 I’ve Ever Spent!

• 1. Heather  |  March 1, 2010 at 12:29 PM

We do not tip each visit, but rather at the holidays take the cost of a cleaning and divide it up among the number of cleaners we normally get (3-4) in the form of gift certificates to a common store.

I try to always leave out glasses and cans of Coke when they visit to make themselves welcome to have a drink as they work.

• 2. me in millions  |  March 2, 2010 at 3:19 PM

It's probably a nice idea to tip them, since I'm sure they do not get paid that much. If it's a one off thing, then maybe a small tip (like $5 each?), but if it is a regular thing I like what Heather said.

• 3. One Frugal Girl  |  March 3, 2010 at 12:06 AM

I don't know how long it usually takes to clean a house, but the two women that showed up were here for nearly 3 hours. I left out bottled water like Heather suggested and paid them a small tip as me in millions suggested. I am so happy the house is now clean!

• 4. Anonymous  |  March 3, 2010 at 11:53 PM

We've had a cleaner come in on a biweekly basis for several years now and consider it money well spent. However I have never tipped her and don't know of anyone else who has either. At Christmastime, I leave her $20 extra, as well as a gift, such as a bottle of wine and a card expressing our appreciation for her service.

• 5. One Frugal Girl  |  March 4, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Anonymous — The women who cleaned my home definitely aren't used to tips. When I handed it to them they were as giddy as two school girls on the first day of summer. I don't know if I'll ever use their services again so I couldn't wait for the holidays and I was so happy to have my bathrooms sparkling that I really did want to give them something extra. Especially the one woman who spent the majority of time at my house scrubbing the bathrooms :-)

• 6. People Power Cleaning  |  February 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Your home will look fantastic, smell fresh and indeed look a million dollars if you use the professional services of People Power Cleaning services.
    Professional cleaning company

• 7. upholstery cleaning knoxville tn  |  February 8, 2011 at 1:46 AM

In my first time to call for a house cleaning I also don't know how much should I pay for the house cleaning? I just ask the cleaner about and I think I pay her a fair price.

• 8. Anonymous  |  December 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM

My wife and I are office Cleaners and Trust me, A tip is GREATLY appreciated. Please take into consideration that we provide service all year around , in all kinds of weather, Cleaning your floors in the winter is the worst. Cleaning in HOT offices at night in the Summer. Scrubbing all your Bathroom messes. Most people forget about the cleaning people because as I say " OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND" . While most people tip the Mail Man or Fed EX guy or Water Delivery guy,, think about it, the previous 3 are in and out of your office in a matter of seconds are even a couple of minutes. While a cleaning person is in your office at least an hour some accounts are even 2-3 hours. Put yourself in the Cleaning Peoples place and than think about how you would feel about not getting tipped !!!

• 9. JJ lang  |  April 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM

So how much would you recommend for 2 hours of work done by two people as an appropriate tip?

• 10. Tiffany  |  November 20, 2015 at 6:12 PM

I’m a cleaner I make 20 percent on the total clean. I really need the tips I get which range from 5 to 20 depending on the size of house and or job requirements.

• 11. Anonymous  |  January 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I have been using a home cleaning service monthly for about six months. I have (since the beginning) left a tip for the two ladies who spend about 3 hours here.

That investment has repaid itself many times over. We have a comfortable, mutually respectful relationship. At Christmas I left them a tip plus two ornaments. One of the ladies gave me a personalized hand-made candle.

More importantly, after several months of assessing my cleaning needs, they consulted the cleaning service owner about reducing the fee since they did not need the full allotted time to clean. How many businesses would do that?

It took me many years to get over reluctance to having someone in my home, handling my things. I now consider it one of the best decisions I've ever made. Providing a generous tip is the least I can do to show my appreciation to these lovely ladies.

• 12. Donna  |  October 26, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Thank you! I clean houses and only make $8 an hour and I work my tale off. I ensure I do a thorough job and when I don’t get a tip it’s seriously discouraging. Im a mom of two young little girls and I count every penny. I have cleaned small houses to make a big tip and big and fancy houses and made nothing. It’s ashame more people don’t tip. We work so hard for our money. Luckily the company I am with sells the tipping information with their packages but still you would be surprised how many people could care less. In the end,my work is much better when I know I am working for someone who is appreciating what I do.

• 13. Beth  |  November 16, 2015 at 11:39 AM

So if you cleaned a house every week for 3 hours at a time and there were two of you, how much would you consider to be a fair enough tip? I want to make sure I’m taking care of my girls.

• 14. Tiffany  |  November 20, 2015 at 6:15 PM

I also clean houses depending on size of house the smallest I have gotten was 5 the most is 25 I get from one of my regulars.

• 15. Spring Maids  |  May 5, 2014 at 3:41 AM

It is depend on how much tip you are going to give. Any cleaning services will appreciate it.

• 16. Charles Jackson  |  April 10, 2015 at 5:14 AM

Here at Ontario, we are getting cleaning services from Sunrise cleaning services. We always used to tip them on every visit. Because I am really impressed with their staff. They are really nice guys. They take care of everything from start to finish. Each day they came with some cleaning tips for my wife.

• 17. Xena  |  October 27, 2015 at 12:44 AM

As a cleaning lady I TIP to all who use cleaning service: here is a Big secret : doesn’t matter how much you tip $5, 10 or more, JUST TIP.. This way you show to person who cleans your home that you appreciate her/his hard work. And next time you will be very surprised ! It’s a huge difference between what we must to do and want to do. You tip a cleaning lady , she will tip you back doing a little extra work . If there is more then one cleaner at the moment in your house, no need to tip to each one. They will share. Coffee, soda, juce are not a tip. And never offering coffee do the comment as : “have some coffee so you will have more power to clean” .
    And guys , be nice to cleaners. If they missed some spot or cleaned the way you don’t like just easy explain it in polite way.
    If you ask cleaning lady to do some work which is not her duty- tip a must!!!

• 18. Tiffany  |  November 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM

I can tell you as a cleaner if it were not for my cleans that Tip I wouldn’t make it. We only receive a small percentage of the whole clean. Most of my cleans I make 16 dollars. When you tip it makes our day. You have no idea how Manny times our dinner has depended on my tips. And at Christmas its REALLY important.