Do You Think Money Has An Impact on Your Personality?

March 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM 6 comments

I believe that money makes me happy. Well, let’s rephrase that. I believe I am happier with money than I would be without it. I also believe that money has a slight influence on my personality. I believe that having money makes me much more calm and mellow.

Part of that calmness is certainly in-born. I am the complete opposite of my brother who is the most high-strung person I’ve ever met. My former coworkers might disagree, but my family and friends will tell you it takes quite a bit to get me worked up.

I also strive for a zen-like attitude. I was struck years ago with an unexpected medical condition. After that incident I vowed not to sweat the small stuff in life. To be honest I’m happy to wake up every morning. If I wake up pain free without the use of medications all the better.

While the first two factors certainly have a large impact on my personality I do believe money has a direct effect on my demeanor. With an ample emergency fund I don’t have to worry about how to pay bills if something unexpected happens. With enough money to pay my mortgage I don’t have to worry about being evicted or having my house fall into foreclosure. With ample money I can even seek relaxation if I’m stressed by getting a massage or scheduling a visit with my acupuncturist.

If I didn’t feel secure with my income and my savings I definitely think I would be more uptight. I think the stress of needing money would consume much of my time and thoughts and that this concern would cause me to be less happy and more stressed. I wouldn’t be a completely different person, but I think I wouldn’t be nearly as calm and relaxed.

Of course, as always I can only speak for myself. I know some people with money who are mean and miserly. I know some people without money who are always relaxed. Do you think money has an impact on your personality? If so how do you think it impacts you?

Entry filed under: thoughts. Tags: .

Weight Loss. Sigh. Admitting Financial Mistakes and Moving On From Them

• 1. Becky  |  March 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Having money definitely affects my personality. Right now, are savings is quite small. We are on the fast track to pay $15k in debt in four months (student loans and car payment) so that we can live with our mortgage being our only debt. While I understand the purpose of what we’re doing right now, it stresses me out to have our savings be lower than I’d like it to be. When we have our nice nest egg (as we’ve had before), I am much more relaxed. We both are. Come June, we’ll start replenishing our savings very quickly. We won’t be nearly as concerned about the nickels and dimes as we are right now.

• 2. One Frugal Girl  |  March 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Good for you for focusing on your debt with such vigor! You’ll definitely feel better once it’s behind you.

• 3. Ryan  |  March 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I agree with Becky, money definitely has an affect on my personality. I’m the “money manager” in my family, so I’m always considering how each expense has an affect on our financial situation. I tend to be more frugal than my wife and don’t really like to shop unless I’m looking for something. I avoid most situations where I’d be really tempted to spend money.

• 4. One Frugal Girl  |  March 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Thanks for the comment Ryan. I do the exact same things.

• 5. Tonya  |  March 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Yes, it definitely does. I’m on edge when my spending it out of control and I have little money in my checking/savings. But just having made the decision recently that enough is enough has calmed me down. I’m being 100% more conscious of where my money is going. I’m a big advocate of taking care of yourself both physically and mentally, especially with exercise and eating right, but I was missing a piece of the puzzle which is reducing stress. I think reducing my own stress (money and career being the biggest stressors) will help make me calmer and more peaceful!

• 6. One Frugal Girl  |  March 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Oh yeah careers can cause a significant amount of stress. I find having my finances in order actually makes me more capable of handling other stresses. It’s like one thing out of the way helps me tackle everything else.