A Follow Up on the Coupon Troubles

January 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM 5 comments

So I went back to the store I mentioned in Tuesday’s post in order to pick up a prescription. While I was waiting for it to be filled I wandered the isles. As I was poking around I noticed that the store clerk from my recent checkout was stocking the shelf right beside me.

I walked right over to her and told her that I was sorry for any confusion my coupons might have caused earlier in the week. I really don’t like confrontation, so I smiled and told her that I brought a copy of the store’s policy that she could take a look at.

I didn’t intend to show it to her, (I printed it out so I could keep a copy with me in case future issues arose), but since she was standing right there and I felt really awful about the last incident I figured I’d just talk to her about it.

To my surprise she looked over the policy and told me that she was not familiar with the buy-one-get-one free rules stated in it. She also told me that the store manager asked all cashiers to a team meeting so that they could discuss the store policies and rules around coupon use.

During Tuesday’s incident the manager mentioned the need to review the store’s policies. Apparently that same manager scheduled a meeting for all employees an hour after my transaction. The cashier, (I found out her name is Maria), believes that meeting was a direct reaction to my experience at the register.

She said management wants to make certain that all employees know what to do when a customer presents coupons as a form of payment.

I’m taking that as a positive sign.

Entry filed under: shopping. Tags: .

I Am Not Stealing Parting with More Stuff

• 1. ruth  |  January 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM

what was she like when you talked? did she even smile or apologize for the way she let her annoyance show?

sure hope those kind of deals are available at where i am. couponing may just become a hobby!

• 2. One Frugal Girl  |  January 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM

@ruth – She was neutral, not particularly pleasant or unpleasant, but that's an improvement!

• 3. Jolie  |  January 15, 2011 at 4:09 PM

If management is reviewing policy with their cashiers so they are all on the same page, then you have accomplished a great deal from your unpleasant experience there. congrats.

• 4. Cindy Brick  |  January 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Good for you, not losing your cool. Another customer might have started screaming at her.
    Youngest Daughter and I went to the local thrift shop a lot — one certain clerk would give Daughter automatic discounts on anything she bought, but for me, would try to 'up' the price! ("This shirt/shoes/whatever is marked wrong — it should really be —") I didn't let her get away with it, unless I felt the item to be a real bargain. (This place was really helping people, too.) But it amused the heck out of both of us that she would do it — over and over again.
    Maria must not have been chastised too badly, or she would have been all over your case about the sudden meeting, plus her involvement in the whole situation. Interesting.

• 5. Sense  |  January 16, 2011 at 2:22 AM

best outcome that could be imagined–thanks for the update!