A Pink Car Seat for My Son?

February 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM 16 comments

Baby A’s car seat will support him until he reaches 22 pounds, but he’s growing like a weed and is currently in the 90th percentile for height and the 85 percentile for weight. Needless to say he’ll outgrow his original car seat much faster than your average baby.

Rather than waiting for him to outgrow his current seat I decided to begin searching for a new one now. I figured I’d have a head start that would help me find a really good bargain. According to the experts car seats are one item you should never buy used. The reason being that you can’t guarantee a used car seat has never been in a car accident before.

So I scoured the Internet for new ones and found a few good deals on Britax models. Late one night, long after I should have been asleep, I found a really great sale at Target.

I was clicking around on all sorts of things. Adding them to my cart and then removing them after further review. Well as some point in the night I found a much less inexpensive Britax model that had outstanding ratings, so I did what any sleep deprived mother would do I pulled out my credit card and purchased it.

A few days later a large package arrived outside my door and sure enough when I opened the box I found my car seat had arrived. There was just one problem. Inside the box I found a bright pink, flowered seat in a place of the black and gray one I expected to find.

I thought for sure the store made a mistake but when I went back and looked at my order I realized I’d accidentally ordered the wrong car seat for my son. While I did pay just over $100 for this seat, which is a really good bargain, it is undoubtedly pink! Similar seats for boys are at least $60 more.

So here’s the question. Do I stick with the bargain and keep the car seat at this unbelievable price or do I return it simply because it’s pink? I must admit it seems rather crazy to pay more just to get it in a different color. On the other hand it seems a little crazy to buy a pink car seat for my infant son just because it’s cheap!

*Note – I am not concerned about my son’s reaction to the pink car seat. He sleeps in a pink blanket every night. See picture above. I was more frustrated by my own mistake and I think slightly concerned that other people would recognize my cheapness, but in saying that out loud I realize that I really shouldn’t care what people think.

Entry filed under: frugality. Tags: .

Best iPhone, iPad and Android Apps Selected for You Who Knew? A Clarification.

• 1. Jade  |  February 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Hi – I rarely comment on your blog but I felt the need to today, because the sheer WTF was about to overcome me.

Please, keep the seat. Ask yourself, what am I afraid of? What’s the worst possible thing that could happen to my darling child if I keep the flowery car seat instead of the grey one? Are flowers infectious? Are you afraid that he will someday need therapy, traumatized by the carseat he had before he was fully aware of what a carseat even was?

I mean, really. Listen to yourself. It’s a good model, good reviews, and a good price. What isn’t there to like?

• 2. One Frugal Girl  |  February 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Hi Jade – Thanks for commenting. I added a note to this post. I am definitely not concerned with my son’s reaction to sitting in a pink seat. I didn’t realize the post would come off that way.

• 3. Pam  |  February 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Take the cover off and sew different fabric over the floral part.

• 4. One Frugal Girl  |  February 25, 2012 at 7:40 PM

That’s a good suggestion.

• 5. Tamara  |  February 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Of course it will not affect him adversely to sit in it. I don’t think that is the point. If if makes you happy to see it and rejoice in your deal then keep it. If it makes you feel bummed that you messed up the order, then return it. you will be looking at this seat all the time for a long time. Don’t keep it if you don’t want it!

• 6. One Frugal Girl  |  February 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Thanks Tamara. You are absolutely right the adverse affect was not the issue. I like your thought process though, if it’ll bother me to look at it then I certainly shouldn’t keep it. We’ll use it for a very long time to come!

• 7. Deborah  |  February 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I’m with commenter #1 (I don’t think I’ve commented before, either). Who cares what color it is? He certainly doesn’t. The only question that matters is “is it safe?”. Are you afraid of what other people will think? Does it really make you uncomfortable to put a boy in something pink? I think it’s an awesome example of not living your life according to society’s expectations – you do that already by living a frugal life, which your kids will pick up on. Give them another example, like this one.

• 8. One Frugal Girl  |  February 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I do think I was worried about what other people would think. Not that my son would sit in a pink seat. See note added in the post above. Thanks for commenting.

• 9. One Frugal Girl  |  February 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Clarification: Not what they would think about it being pink, but rather that they would think I’m cheap.

• 10. Beth  |  February 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

My only concern of it for you (from me to you!) is if there is a reason the other color is more expensive. Is it made a different way or anything like that? (Remember, I’m not a mom, so I don’t know these things lol). but I wouldn’t care…you got a good deal, and HERE is the place to brag about it girl! Don’t worry what others will think….If I had the option to get a cheaper one and it was the color of yours and I had a boy I’d be bragging that I saved $60 on it! lol. But that’s just me. I’ve grown a thick skin over the years and I really don’t care what people think of me, which is what I think you’re going through, what others will think. It takes time, but I’m sure being a new mommy you will be able to learn quickly not to give a toot about what others think of you…march to the beat of your own drummer…join me…it’s FUN :)

• 11. One Frugal Girl  |  February 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

There are some slight differences between the models, but nothing necessary. Certainly nothing in terms of safety or anything. There are nicer models out there with lots more features but they are upwards of $300. It’s funny in many ways I don’t care what people think. Maybe because I’m a new mom I haven’t gained confidence yet in this area.

• 12. Newlyweds on a Budget  |  March 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

wow i didn’t realize this post would elicit such strong comments, but as for my two cents, i would keep it just because it’s cheaper! babies are expensive as it is.

• 13. Ruby Leigh  |  March 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I did not have a major problem with this post – like the earlier commenters… but I though I would add just use a blanket to shield the pink – if you are concerned.

• 14. M  |  March 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Keep it. Use it. Manly men can wear pink, why shouldn’t a child sit in it? Besides, pink wasn’t always just for girls (and it still isn’t outside the US).

• 15. One Frugal Girl  |  March 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Interesting article. I read about that book (I am a U of Maryland alumn) the day after I wrote this post. Fascinating how things have changed. Baby A is never mistaken for a girl, (well once), he looks all boy, but I know a lot of people who dress their children in the expected colors just so they don’t have to correct people.

• 16. Shawnee  |  October 10, 2014 at 3:15 AM

If a person has the passion in what he is doing,
    he will less likely ignore what he could be doing and leave things
    hanging when he is not in the mood of continuing what she has started.
    There are lots of advantages and disadvantages available from buying cheap cannabis seeds.
    Using your finger, push a small whole about quarter to some half inch
    deep in to the soil in the center with the bucket.