Over at Woman’s Day you’ll find Mary Hunt’s list of 17 simple ways you can save money. Here are are a few of her ideas:
- Drink water. (Stop buying juices and soft drinks.)
- Cut back on extras. (One less dinner or movie out a month.)
- Purchase generic/store brand groceries.
- Stretch out the time between haircuts.
- Do your own nails.
- Spend less on clothes.
- Adjust your cable package.
- Compare insurance plans & increase your deductibles.
My husband and I adhere to many of the suggestions on this list, but I disagree on her suggestion that you’ll save more money by purchasing generic groceries. Through a combination of coupons and sales I often spend far less on name brand personal hygiene products, cereals, pastas, etc then I ever would by purchasing generics.
Hunt also suggests saving money by:
- Refinancing your car loans.
- Refinancing your student loans.
- Reducing credit card rates.
Since my husband and I always pay off our credit card in full and don’t have student loans or car loans these tips don’t apply.
You can check out all of Hunt’s money saving suggestions here. You can also find a bunch of interesting personal finance articles here.