Last night I caught sight of three unbelievably brown bananas on top of my refrigerator. I’ve made every effort to stop wasting food in our home and I was a little disappointed in myself for allowing these three bananas to turn brown. I considered throwing them out, but then I did something even better, I made chocolate chip, banana bread with them.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 medium mashed ripe bananas (I used three)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter and flour a 13×9 pan.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, cook it slowly until it turns golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the butter cool slightly.
- Using a whisk stir the sugar and eggs into the butter.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the mashed bananas, vanilla and salt.
- Add the flour and baking soda into the batter.
- Pour half of the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. (35 – 42 min depending on oven)
- Set the pan on a rack to cool for 15 minutes.