Last night I caught sight of three unbelievably brown bananas on top of my refrigerator. I’ve made every effort to stop wasting food in our home and I was a little disappointed in myself for allowing these three bananas to turn brown. I considered throwing them out, but then I did something even better, I made chocolate chip, banana bread with them.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 medium mashed ripe bananas (I used three)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter and flour a 13×9 pan.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, cook it slowly until it turns golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the butter cool slightly.
- Using a whisk stir the sugar and eggs into the butter.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the mashed bananas, vanilla and salt.
- Add the flour and baking soda into the batter.
- Pour half of the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. (35 – 42 min depending on oven)
- Set the pan on a rack to cool for 15 minutes.
5 thoughts on “I Will Not Waste Food”
thanks for this recipe! i have my grandma’s old recipe that calls for shortening (crisco), but they have nothing like crisco in New Zealand. i’ve tried every other version of shortening they have, and it turns out horribly! really, really gross-tasting.
my next step was to try to find a recipe with no shortening. 🙂 here i have it!
gracias! (one tip in return: walnuts are EXCELLENT in BB)
You can also freeze brown bananas in their skins for later use for banana bread.
Sense, here is my banana bread recipe that my grandmother used:
1 1/4 sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup oil (I use canola)
Mix and bake at 350.
I’ll have to try Frugal Gal’s with chocolate chips. sounds great!
I may need this. I bought 3 bananas to eat with Puffins cereal and milk. And then I forgot to buy the Puffins and milk, LOL.
Elizabeth — that happens to me too, except with Rice Krispies.
I actually freeze my overdue bananas without the skins….when they thaw they look disgusting but are completely perfect for any banana recipe. Every other Sunday Morning I whip up some banana muffins for the kids. The more people in the household the harder it is from preventing food waste. Every day I fight with this…good blog.