I’ve spent a lot of money on home renovations lately, but other than big ticket items like mortgages, utilities and bi-weekly groceries I just don’t open my wallet up much these days. There are a lot of things I no longer buy. Here are just a few that top that list:
- Nail Polish – I never spent a ton of money on this, but I do have a large box full of bottles sitting in my closet. More than I could ever use or need. Also, I never seem to find the time to paint my toe nails.
- Decorative Towels – Yeah, this is a strange one, but I used to buy a towel for every season and special occasion; pumpkin towels for Halloween and Santa towels for Christmas. Now I buy plain old ordinary towels in one solid color. They can be used year round and look good no matter the season.
- Holiday Decorations – I used to be a sucker for cute Christmas bowls and little Santa Clauses. The home section of TJ Maxx and Marshall’s were a magnet for me. These days the Scrooge in me avoids that area of the store. I don’t need any more decorations that only come out once a year.
- Clothes – I won’t buy any clothes while I’m exclusively nursing. I love the nursing tops I currently use and although I am more than sick of looking at them I see no need to switch over to anything else. After my nursing days are over I would like to restock my wardrobe. Hopefully I’ll lose a couple of pounds between now and then.
- Knick-Knacks – I have no desire to fill the house with anything that requires dusting. The house looks a whole lot emptier than it used to, but I prefer the open space to a bunch of stuff that sits around unused.
- Lotions, Potions and Other Things That Smell Wonderful – The lure of apple scented soap no longer lures me into Bath and Body Works or the Body Shop. I typically purchase standard, unscented, Eco-friendly products and use an entire bottle before opening another. I always check the EWG Database before buying any of them.
How about you? Have you stopped buying anything lately?