Giving Coupons to a Random Shopper

June 6, 2008 at 2:53 AM 5 comments

During my lunch break I headed out to Rite-Aid to buy two boxes of cereal. I saw an ad on the front of the weekly sales circular for Lucky Charms and knew I had to buy some. I haven’t eaten the stuff in ages, but as soon as I saw the ad I began to crave it. The boxes are on sale this week for $1.99 and I had a coupon for $1 off 2, so I drove down to Rite-Aid to get myself two boxes of yummy Lucky Charms cereal.

I headed right to the cereal isle, grabbed the two boxes, and began heading for the checkout line, when a little boy and girl turned the corner. They each reached for a box of cereal and asked their mother if they could have them. I was about to walk around them when I realized that I hadn’t given anything away for the day, (I’m on day 14 of the 29 day giving challenge), so I asked the woman if she wanted a coupon for the cereal she was buying. She took the coupon and thanked me. At that point I looked at her cart and realized that I might have other coupons that she could use. Sure enough, I found three other coupons that matched the items she was buying. All told I saved her $3.50 and gave the gift of coupons away on day 14 of my 29 day giving challenge.

Entry filed under: giving challenge, happiness. Tags: .

Inexpensive Instructional Courses 20% Discount on Vonage Services

• 1. Hedy  |  June 6, 2008 at 3:04 AM

What a nice thing to do-I’ll have to try paying it forward like that sometime.

• 2. debt consolidation unsecured  |  June 6, 2008 at 7:10 AM

Certainly this is not what we commonly expect when it comes to gift coupons, but at the end rewarding and that is what really matters.

• 3. Amphritrite  |  June 6, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Many days, if I have a coupon that I most likely won’t use or that will expire before my next grocery trip, I set the edge of the product on the edge of the coupon on the grocery shelf. It’s my own random act of kindness to whomever uses the product next.

• 4. Jerry  |  June 6, 2008 at 5:45 PM

That’s really kind and I’m sure she really appreciated. Your act of service leads to more. I hope that woman pays it forward. Just doing nice things isn’t insurance that people will do so but it feels good just to be nice.

Jerry

• 5. One Frugal Girl  |  June 7, 2008 at 3:10 AM

Amphritrite I love your suggestion of leaving coupons right on the grocery store shelves, but I have to admit that I liked seeing the joy in the customer’s face when I gave her those coupons. She must have thanked me three or four times for saving her $3.50. That joy was contagious and those happy feelings stayed with me all afternoon.