Can I Avoid Paying Full Retail Prices for 30 Days?

July 6, 2008 at 11:50 PM 8 comments

Last night, on the way home from dinner with my family, my husband issued me a challenge. He asked if I could avoid paying the full retail price for everything I purchase over the next thirty days. I’m always up for a good challenge and this one has really peeked my interest.

There are three ways I can meet the challenge requirements. First, I can purchase items that are on sale. Second, I can purchase items that are full price, but use a coupon to receive the item at a discounted price. Third, (and the best option of all), I can purchase a sale item using a coupon.

The challenge applies to every single item I purchase with the exception of gasoline. That means food, cleaning supplies, clothes, items for the home, etc. cannot be purchased if they are not on sale and/or I do not have a coupon. Also, shopping at discount stores, like Marshalls, will not fulfill the requirements of the challenge unless the item I purchase is on sale there.

Workarounds are permitted for this challenge. For example, a few days a week I typically purchase lunch in the cafeteria. Clearly, I can’t receive discounts on those lunches, so rather than purchasing lunch at work, I’ll need to search the sales circulars and begin packing a lunch for myself. Throughout the challenge I will also keep track of alternatives to spending. For example, modifying something I already own in an effort to avoid purchasing something new.

I plan on starting the challenge tomorrow and I’m really looking forward to it. It will certainly force me to monitor my spending habits more carefully.

Entry filed under: challenge, save money, shopping. Tags: .

Happy Thoughts for this 4th of July Back to Home Cooked Meals

• 1. HondaTech68  |  July 7, 2008 at 2:37 AM

well it can easily be done check out these two sites http://squidoo.com/getcashback to get cash back on every online purchase and http://www.retailmenot.com for all your coupon codes

• 2. Adam  |  July 7, 2008 at 3:50 AM

That is a great challenge! I know it would be tough for me, especially when shopping for groceries. Do discount brands count? I imagine not! Good luck and keep us posted! http://www.moneyrelationship.com

• 3. Kelly from Almost Frugal  |  July 7, 2008 at 8:52 AM

At first this sounded easy, but reading further on I realized what a challenge this is going to be! Good luck, and I’m looking forward to reading about your progress. I’m also going to include this post in my weekly roundup.

• 4. LP  |  July 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I love this challenge! If nothing else, it forces you to seriously consider every item you buy; you have no choice but to spend conciously.

• 5. Renee  |  July 7, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Great challenge! I love it! I would add in rebates too if I were doing it. Walgreens, CVS, and RiteAid would help a lot health and beauty items.
    Good luck!

• 6. One Frugal Girl  |  July 8, 2008 at 2:48 AM

Thanks for all of the kind wishes. I plan to provide weekly updates of my successes and failures.

@Renee — I forgot all about rebates. Those will definitely count in the challenge.

• 7. Today's Budget  |  July 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM

What a great challenge!

• 8. My Journey From Debt  |  July 14, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Wow, I think that sounds extremely difficult. Even though I generally don’t spend lots of money, I don’ think I could do it!