Do you ever find yourself in a store staring at something and thinking, “why am I looking at this? I must have three others like it at home.” I don’t shop very often, but when I do head to the store I often find myself purchasing the same items over and over. The swimsuits I mentioned on Saturday are a perfect example.
Over the years the ‘it’ item changes, but no matter the date or time there always seems to be at least one thing that tempts me to spend.
Here are just a few of the items that have filled my shopping carts over the years:
- Magazines (primarily food and health)
- Serveware (pretty platters and large serving bowls)
- Beach themed items (cause I’m always looking for decorations for our second home)
- Earrings (dangly and brightly colored)
- Swimsuits (bright and summery)
As I generated this list I couldn’t help but notice the impact of these purchases on others.
- Magazines (My husband and I often cook meals together based on recipes I find.)
- Cards (I send the cards to guests of our beach home and to friends and family.)
- Serveware (I use these for every special occasion and get-together in our home.)
- Beach themed items (Cause I love knowing that a guest is enjoying their stay in NC.)
- Earrings (Cause my grandmother and mother always wear earrings and they always comment on the ones I buy.)
- Swimsuits (My family and I spend a lot of time in NC swimming together.)
I never realized how many of these purchases are actually focused on enjoying time together with others. Before I created this list I thought the purchases were all thoughtless and unnecessary. While the items may in fact be unneeded, I’m surprised to find a pattern among them. Perhaps my subconscious is trying to tell me something.
2 thoughts on “A List of Things I Find Myself Drawn Towards”
What a great way to look at your buying habits! At least your purchases have a common theme that doesn't revolve around having things, but enhancing the time you spend with people you care about.
I have scaled back on much of my buying, but mine would be the magazines, food, and organizational tools like bins and baskets. Magazines for recipes and inspiration, food because I love to cook (and security for a New Englander is having a stocked pantry – bought on sale and with coupons – in case of storms), and bins and baskets because I mistakenly thought they would magically make my life more organized (until I realized I needed to purge things first!).
Hmm…I cannot find a thematic way to explain why I am drawn to Converse sneakers. 😉